Article Twelve: The Rejected King Is The King Anyway

Jesus knew He was the King of Glory (Psalm 24:7-10), and that He would be rejected by most of mankind, beginning at Jerusalem. 

As Jesus approached Jerusalem, He told the parable below to His followers.  It is about a king that people did not want to be their king. Luke 19:12-27 reads:

12" Jesus said, 'A man from an important family went to a country far away. He went there to be made king and then return home. 13 So he sent for ten of his servants. He gave them each about three months’ pay. ‘Put this money to work until I come back,’ he said.
14 But those he ruled over hated him. They sent some messengers after him. They were sent to say, ‘We don’t want this man to be our king.’ 15 But he was made king and returned home.

Then he sent for the servants he had given the money to. He wanted to find out what they had earned with it.
16'The first one came to him. He said, ‘Sir, your money has earned ten times as much.’
17 'You have done well, my good servant!’ his master replied. ‘You have been faithful in a very small matter. So I will put you in charge of ten towns.’
18 The second servant came to his master. He said, ‘Sir, your money has earned five times as much.’
19 His master answered, ‘I will put you in charge of five towns.’
20 Then another servant came. He said, ‘Sir, here is your money. I have kept it hidden in a piece of cloth. 21 I was afraid of you. You are a hard man. You take out what you did not put in. You harvest what you did not plant.’
22 His master replied, ‘I will judge you by your own words, you evil servant! So you knew that I am a hard man? You knew that I take out what I did not put in? You knew that I harvest what I did not plant? 23 Then why didn’t you put my money in the bank? When I came back, I could have collected it with interest.’
24 Then he said to those standing by, ‘Take his money away from him. Give it to the one who has ten times as much.’
25 'Sir,’ they said, ‘he already has ten times as much!’
26 He replied, ‘I tell you that everyone who has will be given more. But here is what will happen to anyone who has nothing. Even what he has will be taken away from him.

27 And what about my enemies who did not want me to be king over them? Bring them here! Kill them in front of me!’ "

*
As Jesus approached the gates of Jerusalem, those who were following Him began to praise Him saying,

38" 'Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord!'  May there be peace and glory in the highest heaven!'
39 Some of the Pharisees in the crowd spoke to Jesus. 'Teacher,' they said, 'tell your disciples to stop!'
40 'I tell you,'  He replied, 'if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out.'”  Luke 19:37-40


Psalm 24:7-10 reads

7 "Open wide, you gates.
    Open up, you age-old doors.
    Then the King of glory will come in.
Who is the King of glory?
    The Lord, who is strong and mighty.
    The Lord, who is mighty in battle.
Open wide, you gates.
    Open wide, you age-old doors.
    Then the King of glory will come in.
10 Who is He, this King of glory?
    The Lord who rules over all.
    He is the King of glory."



Later on, prior to His sacrifice on the cross,  Jesus was brought before Pilate.

Luke 23:1-3 reads:
"Then the whole group got up and led Jesus off to Pilate. They began to bring charges against Jesus. They said, 'We have found this man misleading our people. He is against paying taxes to Caesar. And He claims to be Christ, a king.” 

So Pilate asked Jesus, 'Are you the king of the Jews?'

'Yes. It is just as you say,' Jesus replied."  


Despite His general rejection by the world, Jesus forever reigns as the King of Glory,   All of mankind will come before Jesus and bow their knee to Him.

No comments: